Tuesday, January 13, 2004

A great party

Often I said that life is made up of moments, it’s when you least expect it that they take you by surprise create a priceless memories. This weekend was one of those…

The company Christmas party was delayed last year and instead of the usual December Christmas party, a New Year’s bash was organised! Taking place in Lisbon, it required a flight a day off work… since I had the opportunity to go last year, this year it seemed I would have to stay home. Fortunately for me, a colleague of mine wouldn’t be going and after swallowing my pride, I asked the manager if I could go in her place. Although I was given permission, I was told that I would have to work that afternoon which meant that I would arrive just in time to rush to the hotel, take a quick shower and change clothes in lightening speed to make the dinner on time.

Although the stress didn’t appeal to me, it was a small sacrifice for a weekend away from the stress I’d been under the last few weeks. Things didn’t get any better when I received a call to inform me that I’d been chosen to sit at the administrator’s table instead of being able to sit with my friends and I was starting to imagine a good party turning sour…

God has a great sense of humour…

Just when I thought I was being punished, I arrived at the airport and was told that I’d been upgraded to executive class because the flight had been filled with a soccer team. Never having flown in executive class before, I was stunned by the airhostess who had tried to be friendly by hanging my jacket. Not be used to this kind of formal treatment she sweetly reassured me:
“I won’t take it, I’m just hanging it up for you and I’ll return it at the end of the flight”
Turning pink in the face I decided that I would definitely have to fly more frequently in executive class if I was going used to the royal treatment!

Never has a women gotten ready so quickly…

After imitating Speedy Gonzalez, I made it just in time to enter a massive hall full of very well dressed people. Ignoring the fact that there were far more men than women I pushed away the obvious sexism and instead concentrated on taking measurements… Once I’d an argument with a friend of mine who said that women liked men in suits and ties… being a casual girl myself, I prefer a guy who has a comfortable look to one who looks like he needs to be strangled with his tie!… but after seeing him in his suit and tie, I decided that every now and again a man should definitely climb out his jeans into something more formal…

Every year the party gets better…

Yeah! Yeah! I know I said it last year, but this year’s party was the greatest! It started off a little stiff when I realised that my seat was right next to Mr Administrator himself! I took a deep breath and prayed that this would be the night that I wouldn’t say anything silly or make any grammatical errors! To my delight, the administrator wasn’t anything like I imagined… he was actually human! We had the most natural conversations, ranging from light business talk to our personal goals. I was amazed at the charm and intelligence that radiated from this man and immediately understood how he was a big part of one of Portugal´s most successful companies.

Good food, great company and plenty of laughter was on the menu for the night and the comic made sure to make everyone laugh unto tears! After the comic treatment, we were treated to one of the greatest show’s ever! EZSpecial is the band’s name and for any of you who haven’t heard “Daisy”… I suggest you run a search and download it today… right now! A brilliant song that is only better when being played live was enough to get me dancing in my chair! Remembering that I was told to sit still… I tried to recompose myself a few times, but when I realised that the administrator himself was clapping hands, I dropped all etiquette and had myself a great time! Politely excusing myself, I ran to the stage to be one of the people to receive a free CD of the band! (That I so luckily managed to get autographed later in the evening!) And yes girls… the guys are much better looking in person and friendly too.

Just as the show ended, I was ready to drag my colleagues to the dance floor I was told:
“We’re exhausted, we want to go home”
My spirits sank, and I felt that big bucket of cold water drench me for head to toe! I didn’t want to leave! The party was just starting and I want to dance and mingle!
Not knowing too many people, I didn’t look forward to the idea of staying behind to dance with myself but out of the blue and in a blue shirt, a cowboy that I’d met a just few months ago told me that there was no way he was letting me leave and that I’d be dancing with him and his friends.

A little nervous and shy at first, I tried to mingle with a few colleagues I already knew via phone. I was disappointed that one of those colleagues hadn’t come but in turn I was introduced to what must be been the friendliest person I ever met! She was the sweetest person who tried her best to make me feel comfortable, so I danced next to her beside a group of other strangers. They didn’t stay strangers for long though… thanks to the music and good vibes I met great people and came to the conclusion that the IT department consists of the most good looking and fun people of the company! (Plus they seem to be the greatest dancers)…. Hehehe now who would’ve thought that the “computer geeks”?

By the end of the evening it was clear that I’d had the most fun that whole year and that I’d made good friends that I intend on keeping communication with for life! As we walked in the cold night looking for cabs and cars, I took time to introspect the evening. Grateful for the great time, I secretly prayed that next Christmas some miracle would join me once again with these great people that I only like to get to know better.

Maybe it was the dazzle of the party, maybe it was the break of routine… it definitely had to do with the people I met… I eventually fell asleep with the biggest smile on my face knowing that I’d be talking about the party for a long time still…

No comments: